Bing Predicts Gets Crushed in NFL Week 10; Week 11 Preview
After three consecutive impressive weeks, Bing Predicts was crushed in NFL Week 10. With just 4 of 14 games correct, this was Bing's worst week ever. The search engine is now 93-53 (63.7%) for the year, slightly behind where it was after ten weeks during the 2014 season (97-50).
Bing Predicts Week 10 Recap
You can't really blame Bing for the poor performance though. This was one of the strangest NFL weeks where everything went against the odds. Here are just a few of the bizarre things that happened this week:
- Peyton Manning broke the career passing yardage record but was benched after 4 interceptions and zero touchdowns in the same game.
- The Lions beat the Packers in Green Bay for the first time since 1991.
- The home team only won 3 of 14 games, which may be the worst week ever for the home team.
- After starting 6-0, the Packers dropped their third straight game. Coincidentally, they have not won since McDonald's aired a commercial with Mike Ditka sporting a Packers shirt.
- The Jaguars defeated the Ravens in Baltimore to win their first road game since 2013.
- The Redskins scored 47 points and routed the Saints for their biggest margin of victory since 2005.
And the list goes on. As you can see, it's not entirely Bing's fault for being so wrong this week. A statistical prediction model couldn't possibly see any of these things coming.
Here's a quick recap of Bing's dismal performance for the week:
- 2-9 when favoring the home team (65-38 on the season)
- 2-1 when favoring the away team (28-15 on the season)
- 1-2 when predicted chance under 60% (30-22 on the season)
- 1-2 when predicted chance between 60 and 69.9% (34-19 on the season)
- 2-4 when predicted chance between 70 and 79.9% (24-9 on the season)
- 0-2 when predicted chance over 80% (5-3 on the season)
Statistically speaking, it should have been a strong week for Bing. The search engine has been rock solid when the predicted chance are above 70%, and Bing had 8 of 14 games with such a chance. This week, however, Bing was only 2-6 in these games. Of course, based on everything that happened this week, we shouldn't be surprised by this. We all have bad weeks, right?
Bing Predicts Week 11 Preview
Bing Predicts isn't wasting any time getting ready for Week 11. The prediction engine is dusting itself and moving forward, just like many of the teams that suffered surprising and devastating losses.
Bing expects the home team to rebound this week. The search engine is siding with home field advantage in 11 of 14 games. Some of Bing's biggest predictions for the week include:
- After dropping two straight, the Broncos will recover on the road against the surprisingly improving Chicago Bears
- The Packers will suffer their fourth consecutive loss at the hands of the Vikings in Minnesota
- After starting 8-0, the Bengals will lose their second straight game
- The struggling Falcons will rebound with a big win against the Colts
- The Cowboys will lose in Tony Romo's return
- The Lions will grab their third win of the season at home against the Raiders
And in the two biggest non-surprises of the week, the Panthers and Patriots will extend their perfect records to 10-0.
Here's the weekly breakdown by predicted chance:
- 4 games with predicted chance under 60%
- 7 games with predicted chance between 60 and 69.9%
- 3 games with predicted chance between 70 and 79.9%
- 0 games with predicted chance over 80%
So how will Bing do this week? Well, last week proved that anything can happen. Based on statistics, expect Bing to go 9-5 during Week 11. Be sure to come back next week to see how Bing Predicts did.