Bing Predicts Solid Again in NFL Week 13; Week 14 Preview
It's safe to say that Bing Predicts has gotten its grove back. The prediction engine had another strong week picking NFL games, going 10-6 in Week 13. This puts the search engine at 122-70 (63.5%) on the season, a record anyone predicting football games would be proud of.
BING PREDICTS WEEK 13 RECAP
The big news heading into Week 13 was Bing breaking from its tradition of siding almost exclusively with the home team. During Week 13, Bing predicted the visitors in 7 of 16 games. This strategy paid off well for the search engine, with Bing going 6-1 in these games. On the season, Bing has picked the visiting team just 30% of the time for a 67% success rate.
Bing's misses this week included:
- The Patriots getting stunned at home by the Eagles (an outcome no one predicted)
- The Vikings getting absolutely crushed at home by the Seahawks
- The Giants blowing the double-digit lead at home to the Jets
- The Jaguars falling to the Titans in an exciting shootout between two lowly teams
- The Bears falling apart in Chicago to the dismal 49ers
- The Redskins losing to the Cowboys to further complicate the horrible NFC East
Here's an overview of Bing's performance from Week 13:
- 4-5 when favoring the home team (83-51 on the season)
- 6-1 when favoring the away team (39-19 on the season)
- 3-4 when predicted chance under 60% (40-31 on the season)
- 6-1 when predicted chance between 60 and 69.9% (48-25 on the season)
- 1-0 when predicted chance between 70 and 79.9% (29-10 on the season)
- 0-1 when predicted chance over 80% (5-4 on the season)
Surprisingly, Bing has struggled in games with predicted chances over 80%. Although the search engine has mostly shied away from this prediction so far this year, it's only gotten 56% of these games right, the worst percentage of any predicted range. As we saw last year, Bing does better when the predicted chances are higher, at least up until hitting that 80% threshold.
BING PREDICTS UPDATED PLAYOFF PICTURE
Bing doesn't update the playoff picture every week, but the search engine is giving us a new look this week. Here are the current playoff picks:
The top three seeds in both the AFC and NFC shouldn't come as much of a surprise (although you might debate the order of the AFC after New England's loss to the Eagles). Bing's playoff predictions match up pretty well with the current playoff standings with two exceptions:
- The Jets are nowhere to be seen in Bing's picture despite being the current 5th seed in the AFC
- Bing favors the 5-7 Giants over the 5-7 Redskins even though the Redskins lead the tiebreaker in the NFC East—the division no one seems to want to win
How much longer will the Falcons hang around in this picture? After dropping their 5th straight, it seems like they're hunting to stay out of the playoffs, especially with 2 of their 4 remaining games against the Panthers.
BING PREDICTS WEEK 14 PREVIEW
With just four weeks left in the NFL regular season, there's plenty of excitement left. Less than half the playoff spots look like locks, and there are several key games this week that may decide the fate of teams vying for the postseason. Here's what Bing says will happen:
Bing is picking the away team in 6 of 16 matchups this week, similar to what we saw last week. While there are no major surprises, here are some of the highlights:
- The Patriots will avoid losing three straight by beating the Texans
- The Panthers will remain undefeated, handing the Falcons a 6th consecutive loss
- The Bengals will beat the Steelers in a game with huge AFC playoff implications
- The Giants will win while the rest of the NFC East loses, giving them sole control of the division
Overall, Bing's confidence is relatively low this week, with almost half the games at a predicted chance under 60%. Of course, this is about the same as we've seen the past two weeks, so don't expect Bing to fall apart. Here's a look at the Week 14 picks by predicted chance:
- 7 games with predicted chance under 60%
- 3 games with predicted chance between 60 and 69.9%
- 5 games with predicted chance between 70 and 79.9%
- 1 game with predicted chance over 80%
So how will Bing do in Week 14? We've been dead-on the past two weeks with our predictions for Bing. This week, expect more of the same. The search engine will go 10-6 or better for the third straight week. Come back next week to get the full Week 14 recap and the Week 15 preview.