Bing Predicts Squeaks By in NFL Week 14; Week 15 Preview
After three consecutive weeks predicting over 62% correct, Bing Predicts slipped in NFL Week 14. Bing's 9-7 record this week puts it at 131-77 (63%) overall for the season, four games behind where it was after 14 weeks last season (135-73). Things don't look good for Bing to match last year's final record; Bing finished the 2014 season on fire, correctly picking 34 of the last 48 games. To equal last year's overall performance, Bing will need to go an unlikely 38-10 over the next three weeks.
Bing Predicts Week 14 Recap
Heading into Week 14, it looked like things could be tough for the search engine. Bing's predicted chances were under 60% in 7 of the 16 games. The search engine usually gets about half of these games correct, but the majority of these games went the other way this week.
While Bing missed 5 of 7 of the games with low predicted chances, the search engine excelled when the predicted chances were over 62%, successfully picking 6 of 7. Here's an overview of Bing's performance from Week 13:
- 6-4 when favoring the home team (89-55 on the season)
- 3-3 when favoring the away team (42-22 on the season)
- 2-5 when predicted chance under 60% (42-36 on the season)
- 2-1 when predicted chance between 60 and 69.9% (50-26 on the season)
- 4-1 when predicted chance between 70 and 79.9% (33-11 on the season)
- 1-0 when predicted chance over 80% (6-4 on the season)
In last week's preview, we highlighted four key predictions:
- CORRECT - The Patriots avoided losing three straight by demolishing the Texans
- CORRECT - The Panthers remain undefeated, shutting out the Falcons for a humiliating 6th consecutive loss
- INCORRECT - The Bengals did not beat the Steelers in a game with huge AFC playoff implications
- CORRECT/INCORRECT - The Giants did win but the Redskins also won to maintain control over the NFC East
You can't blame Bing for all their misses this week. How was the prediction engine to know that Andy Dalton would break his thumb early in the Bengals-Steelers game? And could Bing really predict that Robbie Gould would miss a game-winning/tying field goal for the second straight week, allowing the Redskins to triumph over the Bears? Or what about the Jaguars putting up 51 points against the Colts? As we've seen all season, injuries, unexpected chokes, and shocking performances make picking NFL games quite the challenge.
Bing Predicts Week 15 Preview
With three weeks left until the end of the regular season, there are still plenty of questions left in the playoff race. With almost nothing set in stone, we shouldn't see any teams taking it easy just yet. Here's what Bing says will happen in Week 15:
Bing loves the away team this week, giving the visitors the win in 9 of 16 games. We also see Bing's highest predicted chance ever: the search engine is giving the Patriots an 89% chance to beat the Titans.
As we've come to expect, Bing doesn't usually shock us with its predictions, but here are some of the highlights for Week 15:
- The Panthers will win on the road against the Giants to move to 14-0
- The Chiefs will grab their 8th straight win on the road against the Ravens
- The Broncos will drop their second straight and be just one game ahead of the Chiefs
- Everyone in the NFC East will lose, allowing the Redskins to maintain first place with a 6-8 record
- The Colts will beat the Texans to move a full game ahead in the AFC South
- The Falcons will lose their 7th straight and be officially eliminated from the playoffs after starting 5-0
Bing's predicted chances are higher this week than we've seen recently, with 11 games over 60%—the most we've seen since Week 4. Here's a complete look at Bing's predicted chances for the week:
- 5 games with predicted chance under 60%
- 8 games with predicted chance between 60 and 69.9%
- 1 game with predicted chance between 70 and 79.9%
- 2 games with predicted chance over 80%
So how will Bing do this week? After two straight weeks being dead on, we missed last week by 1 game. I think Bing will get back on track this week and go 11-5 or better. Come back next week to find out how the prediction engine fared.
Bing is now picking the Chargers over the Dolphins with a 52% chance in the most meaningless game of the week. Everything else remains the same, including all predicted chances: