Bing Predicts Strong in NFL Week 12, Week 13 Preview
Things are looking up for Bing Predicts. For the second straight week, Bing looked strong in its NFL predictions. With a 10-6 record during Week 12, it looks like Bing has overcome the Week 10 debacle and is back on track for prediction success. Bing Predicts is now 112-64 (63.6%) on the season.
Bing Predicts Week 12 Recap
During our Week 12 preview, we predicted the search engine would go 10-6. Whether this was flawless statistical analysis or just dumb luck, Bing Predicts performed according to our expectations. One game in particular we expected Bing to miss was the Vikings-Falcons matchup. Perhaps we were a bit biased for our hometown team, or perhaps we could tell the struggling Falcons were no match for Adrian Peterson or the Minnesota defense. Either way, we got it right and Bing didn't.
Bing's other misses during Week 12 included:
- The Chargers ending their long losing streak against the Jaguars in Jacksonville
- The Patriots suffering their first loss of the season in Denver
- The Packers falling to the rising Bears at Lambeau Field
- The Redskins defeating the Giants to take over the lead in the abysmal NFC East
- The Ravens miraculously beating the Browns by blocking a last-second field goal and returning it for a touchdown in a game that almost no one cared about
Of these incorrect picks, there was only one Bing was really confident about. The search engine gave the Packers a 75% chance of beating Chicago. The other 5 losses all had a predicted chance of 61% or less.
Here's an overview of Bing's performance from Week 12:
- 7-4 when favoring the home team (79-46 on the season)
- 3-2 when favoring the away team (33-18 on the season)
- 5-3 when predicted chance under 60% (37-27 on the season)
- 4-2 when predicted chance between 60 and 69.9% (42-24 on the season)
- 1-1 when predicted chance between 70 and 79.9% (28-10 on the season)
- 0-0 when predicted chance over 80% (5-3 on the season)
Bing Predicts Week 13 Preview
Week 13 has some pretty major playoff implications, and Bing's ready for it. The search engine is relying a bit more on the away team than usual. Bing favors the visitors in 7 of 16 games this weekend. On average, Bing only picks the away team 29% of the time.
Some of Bing's highlight predictions this week include:
- The once-hot Falcons losing on the road to Tampa Bay
- The division-leading Vikings defeating the Seahawks in Minnesota (we definitely agree with this one!)
- The Packers getting revenge in Detroit just two weeks after losing to the Lions in Green Bay for the first time in a few decades
- The Panthers extending their perfect season to 12-0 with a victory over the up-and-down Saints
- The red-hot Chiefs winning their sixth straight on the road in Oakland
Bing certainly isn't offering a clear vision of Week 13. The predicted chance is 67% or less in 14 of the 16 games. In other words, just about anything can happen this week. Here's a breakdown of Bing's predictions by chance:
- 7 games with predicted chance under 60%
- 7 games with predicted chance between 60 and 69.9%
- 1 game with predicted chance between 70 and 79.9%
- 1 game with predicted chance over 80%
So how will Bing do this week? We nailed our prediction last week, but things look a bit tougher for Week 13. Expect Bing to go 9-7 or better. Be sure to come back next week for the latest updates on Bing's NFL predictions. Maybe we'll have an updated playoff picture by then.